29th of March 2012.

Species seen 56.

After arriving home from work, I checked the garden to see if any birds were feeding on my feeders or on the ground etc. These were all seen within a 15 minute period.
House Sparrow pictured below chirping in the front garden, Dunnock, Goldfinch, Robin, Greenfinch, Wood Pigeon, Starling, Blackbird and Magpie were all seen in the back garden. Above and beyond the garden was a Buzzard high on the thermals.



WWT - Brandon Marsh.

I arrived at 6pm for an evening visit; it’s good to be able to walk the reserve at this time now that the nights are drawing out. Starting my stroll in Horsetail Glade, I saw Great Spotted Woodpecker, Green Woodpecker, Blackcap, Chiffchaff, Tree Creeper, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Long Tailed Tit, Magpie and Wren. The Lesser Spotted Woodpecker that was reported still evades me!

On to the hides and there was not a great deal of activity, the notables were, 2 Little Ring Plover, 2 Ringed Plover, 6 Oystercatchers, a Swallow, a Sand Martin and a great many Snipe and after plenty of searching the reeds having heard a Cetti’s Warbler, I eventually managed to catch sight of one to the right of the Carlton hide.

Whilst in the Carlton hide again I caught up with some fellow birders to share stories and enjoy the banter. Beyond the Carlton hide the new reed beds screen has been finished, the team of conservationist and volunteers have created the beginning of what looks to be a future haven for a great many birds, mammals, butterfies, moths, insects and amphibians.  I really hope that at some time in the future a new hide will be built here? After scanning the area for a few minutes my attention was quickly brought to the nearest Owl box, where perched upon it was a fabulous Barn Owl; it didn’t stay long and in the quickly fading light it was soon off towards the golf course in search of food. A most enjoyable visit.

No comments: