Saturday 17th of March 2012.

Cathiron & Church Lawford, Warwickshire.

Species seen 24.

Taking the back roads to Brandon Marsh I stopped off at some of my regular locations to view the fields and wooded areas. Skylarks were aplenty and very vocal in the fields, Buzzards were high above and 50 plus Golden Plover were seen in one of the recently turned over fields. Both Red Legged Partridge and Pheasants were also seen. Parking alongside the Oxford Canal I walked for a short distance taking sight of Mallard, Moorhen, Blue, Great, Willow and Coal Tits, Chaffinch, Great Spotted Woodpecker and this obliging, yet very speedy Nuthatch.

Brandon Marsh – WWT, Warwickshire.
Species seen 52.

Arriving in late afternoon and parking in my usual area, I was immediately drawn towards a Dunnock singing in the thorn bushes and Lesser Redpoll up in the trees. Once signed in, my first stop was Horsetail Glade hoping to maybe see all three of the UK’s Woodpeckers. Sadly none!
Checking in at the East Marsh hide produced three Mediterranean Gulls along with Common, Black Headed, Herring and Lesser Black Backed Gulls.The Mediterranean Gulls were very busy, up, then down, then in flight, then down again and were constantley chasing the other Gulls away from Tern Island. One thing of note is, I can't say I've seen such whiter gulls before than these.

Other notable birds, Goldeneye, Shelduck, Snipe, Cormorant, Oystercatcher, Widgeon, Teal, Tufted Duck, Shoveler, Great Crested Grebe, Canada and Greylag Geese.

Birds heard, but not seen were, Chiffchaff, Cetti's Warbler and Water Rail. 

My last stop was the Carlton hide where I met up with local birders Paul and George, it’s always good to learn from other birders and as usual they had plenty of tips and stories to share.
I stuck it out until it was almost dark and was rewarded with a close fly past by one of the Newlands Barn Owls.

No comments: