14th of April 2012.

WWT – Brandon Marsh.

Species seen 56.

Arriving at 6.45am the weather was already showing signs of being another beautiful sunny day and it stayed like this all day. My day included two full circuits of the reserve, something I’ve not done for quite a while. With migrants now turning up throughout the country, I was hoping for sightings of some birds that I have yet to see this year.

First off was a walk to the tip area in search of Wheatears that have been reported, sadly none today. Then on through Horsetail Glade, where Great Spotted Woodpecker, Green Woodpecker, Tree creeper, Magpie, Jay, Goldcrest and a very friendly Robin were seen. While in the Steetley hide 3 Little Grebes were showing well along with Canada Geese, Mallards, Coots and Reed Buntings.
My first stop at the Sheep field fence had the binoculars searching the trees, bushes and shrubs, here and all around the reserve a good number of Blackcaps were seen, mainly male birds, however, I did get to see one female with her fabulous chestnut cap, sadly no clear shots!

On many of my visits I get to bump in to some of the Brandon regulars who kindly offer the latest on recent sightings. Today was no exception with a Whitethoat reported? I didn’t make contact with one in the morning, however in my afternoon tour; I did manage to see one near the golf course after patiently following its call up and down the footpath. It really did give me the run around! Also seen here were Cetti’s Warbler (which took ages to find following its call) and a fabulous Willow Warbler. All 3 were heard before seeing them.

Other notables seen throughout the day were, Sand Martin, House Martin, Swallow, Chiffchaff, Great Crested Grebe, Redshank, Oystercatcher, Gadwall, Buzzard, Kestrel, Ringed Plover, Pied Wagtail and Long Tailed Tit. Also seen today very early on was a Red Fox.

A very enjoyable leisurely day was spent and as always I’m looking forward to my next visit which will be an evening one during the week.

Finally, I must thank one of the Brandon regular photographers for her kind comments and also for her advise relating to my early photographic efforts.

2 comments:

Ragged Robin said...

It sounds as though you had a lovely and productive visit! Your post encouraged me to go the Reserve yesterday. Only had time for one quick circuit but the reserve was looking beautiful in the Spring sunshine and I managed to see a few new species for the year.

Many thanks for linking my blog and I hope you don't mind that I had already linked yours!

Look forward to reading about your next visit.

All the best
Caroline

Central Birder said...

It was a very good day, a long one, but it's not often days like this come along.

Really pleased you got to see some year ticks too and thanks for adding my link to your blog.

Kind regards

Steve