2nd of April 2012.

Species seen 37.

Stowford Meadows – Coombe Martin – North Devon.

Before leaving the campsite a buzzard was heard over one of the fields nearby, after following it with my binoculars it started to come closer and closer to where I was. It came very close, almost directly above me and then landed in a nest for a few minutes, the nest was high in the trees and no more than 30 metres from my pitch and then it took off. This is the closest I’ve ever been to a wild buzzard.

Fremington Quay - Tarka Trail - North Devon.

As with all visits to the Fremington Quay area, a must is a cream tea at the old station café before setting out to see what is in the area. As I set off walking towards Barnstable through the tree lined footpath of this old dismantled railway line, the sound of many Chiffchaffs, Chaffinches, and Great Tits was heard, I lost count of how many I actually saw? Notables seen were Chiffchaff, Chaffinch, Blackcap, Sand Martin, Goldfinch, Curlew, Shelduck, Redshank, Little Egret, Great Spotted Woodpecker and good numbers of House Sparrow.

The adjacent fields were occupied with many sheep tendering to their lambs, stopping to look at one ewe, it was obvious that it had recently given birth as it was cleaning the mess from the new lamb, which then eventually got to its feet and started to suckle. What a privilege to witness the first moments of the lambs first few hours of life.

No comments: