5th of April 2012.

Species seen 43.

RSPB Isley Marsh & the Taw Estuary – North Devon.

I heard the Buzzard again early this morning along from our pitch. Sadly no sign of it once I surfaced or when I returned later in the day!

A much colder day today.  It’s hard to believe that only a week ago we were in T-shirts because of the warm weather?

Upon arrival at Yelland, I walked towards Isley Marsh, an RSPB site off the Tarka Trail, walking along the footpath I saw, Carrion Crow, Rook, Jackdaw, Magpie, Goldfinch, Chaffinch, Redpoll, Robin, Wren, Chiffchaff, House Sparrow and Willow Warbler. Once in Isley Marsh and following the perimeter path, the sound of Skylarks was heard and very soon they were seen too. The hedges were full of Dunnock, Blackbird, Song Thrush, Great Tit and Blue Tit.

Scanning over the sandbanks, produced Shelduck, Little Egret, Great Black backed, Black Headed, Herring and Lesser Black backed Gulls, Knot, Dunlin, Curlew and these Bar Tailed Godwits with the Oystercatchers.

At the Quay area a Rock Pipit was viewed along with more Oystercatchers, at least 200 plus this time. Making my way past the inland pond, which had Teal, Mallard and Canada Geese on it, I heard a Cetti’s Warbler from within the reeds. Back towards the Estuary, a single Swallow caught my eye, then much commotion was heard from a number of Gulls, they were chasing a large raptor sized bird, and the binoculars quickly confirmed an Osprey carrying a large fish. The pursuit was on to get a record shot; alas this was not to be, running a mile after the Osprey didn't happen. I did however, catch up with a local birder and we chatted for a while about this fabulous sighting.


My last stop was Fremington Quay to see the Little Egrets roosting, this tree held 12 birds before they were all spooked by two buzzards. For the first time ever, I wasn't pleased to see Buzzards, as all the Egrets left and dissappeared towards the Estuary!

A great day birding in North Devon.

No comments: