February 17th of February 2013.

WWT – Swift Valley Nature Reserve.

Species seen 20.

Another sunny day and a walk around my nearest Warwickshire Wildlife Trust site included yours truly falling in the mire which had me soaked right up to the waist in mud! The things we do in our quest for enjoying the outdoors and it's wildlife. Upon arriving back at the car I was really pleased that the rucksack waterproof cover I keep in the boot, was just the right size to cover for my seat while I drove home to change!

Birds seen, Greylag Geese, Moorhen, Coot, Wood Pigeon, Jay, Magpie, Carrion Crow, Jackdaw, Black Headed Gull, Robin, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Long Tailed Tit, Wren, Dunnock, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Blackbird, Fieldfare, Starling and Goldfinch.


WWT – Brandon Marsh.

Later in the afternoon I went to Brandon Marsh for a few hours before it got dark. The highlights were a Red Kite, high above the Newlands reed beds, also seen was a Bittern and two Barn Owls at dusk.

Also noted and the topic of great hide discussion, were around 3000 plus Black Headed Gulls along with a few Great Black Backed Gulls seen above and beyond the golf coarse heading in a southern direction. 

4 comments:

Ragged Robin said...

Well done on the Bittern, Red Kite and Barn Owls :)

Kevin Groocock said...

PMSL! Would have loved to see you in the mud! Didn't I mention that it was rather wet?

Central Birder said...

Thanks Caroline, a good day with the Bittern playing hide & seek! :-)

Central Birder said...

Thanks Kevin for the inspiration on the day :-) When I fell I smacked my face against a fence post too! Thankfully camera was on my mono-pod & therefore didn't take the hit.