13th of April 2013.

Swift Valley Nature Reserve – WWT.

Species seen 32.

Today I spent a few hours walking around my local reserve in the hope of catching sight of a number of migrants? I wasn’t disappointed, as first off was a Swallow, followed by Blackcap and a singing Chiffchaff.

As with recent visits one of the first birds of note seen was a Buzzard, souring and gliding over the trees and giving out a cry while looking for mammals or birds?

Also heard was a Kingfisher along the river Swift and it wasn’t long before I made contact with it perched on an overhanging tree branch. It was soon off along the contours of the river and away for a short while. I heard it again, and for a second time caught sight of this superb adult bird. Not long after, a second call was heard followed by another Kingfisher.  Two adults chasing along the river was worth the visit alone!

Continuing my walk the rapid movement of a Goldcrest soon had me chasing it for a shot, this poor record shot was all I managed.  

Stopping for ten minutes at the feeders, I waited to see what would drop in as usual the birds seen were Blue, Great, Long Tail and Willow Tit. A male and female Reed Bunting shared the seed fallout with a single Song Thrush, plus Blackbirds, Robins and a few Dunnock. Making a very brief visit was a Nuthatch on the feeders and a speedy Tree Creeper on one of the trees.

Overlooking the fence towards the pools were Grey Heron, Canada Geese, Mallard, Tufted Duck, Herring Gull, Coot and Moorhen.

Other birds seen were Pheasant, Kestrel, Wood Pigeon, Carrion Crow, Jackdaw, Green Woodpecker, Magpie, Wren, Redwing and Goldfinch.

No comments: