3rd of August 2013.


Thornton Reservoir – The National Forest – Leicestershire.

 Bird species seen 31.

Having seen many sightings reports on Twitter in the last few days of a Night Heron,  I decided today to drive up the M1 a few junctions to Thornton Reservoir  which is a National Forest site owned by Severn Trent Water. I’ve not been here before and as I arrived, it was clear by the amount of people clad with Binoculars, Scopes and Cameras that my target bird for the day was still around?

Making my way to the weir area, I soon saw small groups of birders who all had the Heron in sight. It was in amongst the trees and quite difficult to see. Having seen its location, there was no way of getting any photographs, so after half an hour I decided to take a walk to look at the wooded area. Here were quite a few Spotted Flycatchers that came and went along with Goldcrest, Goldfinch, and Willow Warblers. 

Walking back to get an update on the Heron’s position, I watched it take off from within the trees and fly away towards the visitors centre area! Off went the many birders towards the opposite bank to try and locate it again, which they did after a short time. I too watched from the bank for a while, however something made me think, it may go back again at some point to the same area? Off I went with an optimistic attitude to where it was seen earlier. Once there and while talking to a couple about the many Flycatchers we couldn’t believe it, the Night Heron returned and dropped in, right in front of us. Here are a few records of this rare vagrant.




Birds seen today were, Blackbird, Black Headed Gull, Blue Tit, Buzzard, Carrion Crow, Chaffinch, Chiffchaff, Coot, Feral Pigeon, Goldcrest, Great Crested Grebe, Great Tit, House Martin, Lesser Black Backed Gull, Little Grebe, long Tailed Tit, Mallard, Moorhen, Mute Swan, NIGHT HERON, Reed Warbler, Spotted Flycatcher, Swallow, Treecreeper, Tufted Duck, Willow Warbler, Wood Pigeon and Wren.


Butterflies, Meadow Brown, Large White, Green Veined White, Red Admiral and Peacock.

No comments: