26th of October 2013.

Pitsford Reservoir.

Following recent Twitter reports of Great White Egrets at Pitsford Reservoir, I decided to take an afternoon drive and managed a few hours before it began to get dark. Upon arriving at the causeway, I scanned the banks and quickly saw my first one in the good company of a Grey Heron and a Little Egret. A long record shot was my first instinct in case they decided to go their separate ways. As luck would have it the trio stayed together long enough for me to make my way to the fishing boats jetty area. With the fisherman's shed providing perfect cover between me and the birds (ensuring I did not disturb them) I simply stepped to the right and snapped the following record shots!








Later as the Great White Egret made its way to the far bank it was continuously mobbed by Carrion and when finally finding a bank away from the Crows, the bird was then assaulted by a Grey Heron!


As I scoped the area the following birds were also seen, Greylag Goose, Canada Goose, Mute Swan, Gadwall, Wigeon, Mallard, Shoveler,Teal, Pochard, Tufted Duck, Pheasant, Little Grebe, Great Crested Grebe, Cormorant, Grey Heron, Buzzard, Moorhen, Coot, Lapwing, Black-headed Gull, Herring Gull, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Great Black-backed Gull, Feral Pigeon, Wood pigeon, Jay, Magpie, Jackdaw, Rook, Carrion Crow, Wren, Blackbird and Starling.

No comments: