21st of November 2014 - Corralejo - Fuerteventura.



On a recent holiday to the Canary Islands I decided to take an early walk before sunrise to see what wildlife was about. As I arrived on Coco beach the light began to get better and the views across the sea towards the islands of Lanzarote and Los Lobos where beautiful.

As I walked, I stopped many times to scan the sea for signs of cetaceans, sadly I didn't see any this trip, but I look forward to our next winter holiday here which may perhaps prove more fruitful.

The first places to explore where the many rock pools, here I had sightings of Kentish Plover, Little Egret, Grey Heron, Whimbrel, Yellow Legged Gull, Turnstone, Black Tailed Godwit, Dunlin, Collared Dove and Spanish Sparrow.

Heading south in the direction of the huge sand dunes I walked upon thousands of tiny shells that covered the whole area, checking out the bracken I stumbled across a stunning Great Grey Shrike aloft a branch which sadly departed before I raised my camera for a record shot. After some considerable time chasing the bird (for my record shot) I gave up and carried on walking.





Berthelot Pipit

Ahead was one of the many extinct volcanos that make up the lunar landscape of Fuerteventura. I soon started my way back to the hotel complex for breakfast and came upon Berthelot Pipits feeding in the desert like habitat. With their mouse like movements amongst the lava rocks they were not concerned with me being in close distance, which gave an opportunity to get a least one species of bird photographed!






A very pleasant morning walk which gave me a great appetite for a very big breakfast.

No comments: