September 2016 - North Devon - Crow Point, Braunton Burrows and Fremington Pill.

As usual when in Devon, a birding day around Braunton Burrows and Crow Point is a must! I always drive around this area with my binoculars on the dashboard of the car and today paid dividend.

Recent reports of a Wryneck had me heading straight towards the Burrows, upon paying to go through the toll, I was flagged down by a fellow birder as he saw the bins on my dashboard and stopped to let me know that the Wryneck was showing well and where to look for it.

As I walked along the dyke towards the fisherman's huts I met up with two gentleman who quickly had me on to the bird. It was very flighty and came in reasonably close then off it went, then in close again!


Record shots of Wryneck
When the rain is heavy, the surrounding fields flood and quickly fill up, therefore this water needs to drain away. The dyke has a tunnel that lets all the flooded fields water escape in to the Taw estuary, however today we saw that a big hole had appeared near it, since then, I have found out that the dyke is now closed to the public as the whole bank has been rendered unsafe and will at some point collapse? This really is a shame as the walk along the dyke over the years has produced some brilliant birds.

Leaving after this superb tick I made my way to the humpback bridge near Braunton to look for the resident pair of Dippers. The rain had started and as birds do, these two were off up and down the river giving no opportunities of photographs, always great to see Dippers, however they were also in the company of Grey Wagtail and Kingfisher showing off their wonderful plumage.  

Before leaving, a walk along to Tarka Trail to view Wrafton Pond gave up three Spoonbills along with the usual wildfoul.

Next stop was Fremington Pill which leads to Fremington Quay. Parking up, I was soon on to a Glossy Ibis which was in the company of a Little Egret. Over 300 Redshank were busy on the mudflats and amongst them were Greenshank and a first for Britian, Lesser Yellowlegs!

Glossy Ibis


Record of the stunning Lesser Yellowlegs






A great days birding in one of my favourite parts of Britian.

No comments: